Friday, February 1, 2008

"I hear those gentle voices singing 'Old Black Jew!" Henry Waxman, meet The Peter Principle


As Pacino, the ageing Godfather, said before the [choke!] halcyon Clinton Era, 'Every time I think I'm out I'm back in!' Now at that same age I can't get myself to join the 70+ percent of our Nation's voters joyous countdown to the instant we get to call Gee-Dub an Ex-Prez. Can't even get behind the pundits my age and older who plead 'awestruck' that our final Dem choices are a between a black man and a woman. Long ago, as a young, dumb USC Grad Student, the late Lawrence J. Peter handed me his manuscript to proof read and thus distract me from a bad time in my personal life. I 'proofed' the hell outta Larry's pages which
NO thanks to my efforts, became famous as "The Peter Principle." In one sentence the principle states: "Everyone rises to and forever remains at their own personal level of incompetence." Surely true in my life although Gee Dub is the current national, if not world, exemplar for the enduring truth of Professor. Peter's rule on a stage greater than my own. An equally true rule occurred to me while watching Candidates Clinton and Obama 'square off' a mile or two north of here the other night and scares the living Shi'ite outta me: Records are made to be broken. The choice Dems have is not principled black men like Randall Robinson of Trans-Africa or William Felton "Bill" Russell. The woman isn't Elizabeth Edwards or Representative Barbara Lee who cast the only vote in the entire U. S. Congress against the despicable Patriot Act. The choice is what it is. Great Caesar's Ghost, Kent! What a humungously Deep Thought!

We all screw up as Elizabeth Edwards' husband said repeatedly he had to the collective yawns of the media. Stigmata, John! Bleed from the damn palms! So did Henry Waxman, my Congressguy, who should give me not much to bitch about since Henry was the star of tonight's Bill Moyers' Journal http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html. Trust an ex-Shrink here, [even if Dr. Phil's newest doo-doo step casts doubt where more doubt is like bringing coal to Newcastle] http://everydaypsychology.blogspot.com/2008/01/is-dr-phil-actually-psychologist.html Henry Waxman was on his game. But playing against Peter Principle Doofi [does "Doofus" have a plural?] like Condi Rice, Blackwater CEO Eric Prince and a State Dept. two-digiteer named "Cookie" Krongard who recused himself from a big
dough Iraq Embassy construction contract when Henry told Cookie his brother's a Blackwater Board member. "Oh
...HIM!" Trouble with Henry, a 33-year straight-shooter, is he's eliminated from holding any office higher than being my Congressguy. The Peter Principle kicks in re Henry's forehead being as long as Dr. Phil's. Plus Henry's a short Jewish guy. He's whimsical as NYC's Mike Bloomberg but [A] Henry's not a Billionaire and [B] Henry's got this oddly Nixonian nose. Lucky for our Democratic Party choice, neither suffers the heartbreak of Nixon Nose.t




'0'0'

No comments: