Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Reverend James Bevel Was MLK's Right-Hand Man In 1963. He's The Same Man Now He Was Then.

Chronicle of a journey from youthful
know-it-all to old-fart astonishment.

Long ago during my Watts Clinic internship, a very competent, very unpleasant supervisor mockingly told me: "You talk to everone the same way! Sober, drunk or stoned it's the same person!" Dr. L. was dead on. and an asshole until the day he died. He was also black and Gay before either was hip. Dr. L. figured nit-picking me to death would make me quit. Once he called me away from my Bride at dinner up
to his friuty Hollywood apartment. Was the same as his routine My-Shit-Doesn't-Stink! escoriation of EVERY mistake I'd ever made at Watts Clinic including some I'd never made. He began at 7:45pm when I found his place. Having lost count near 1:00am of Dr. L's smirking homilies re my ineffective
worthlessness and how I wasn't nearly grateful for his thankless patience I reminded him of Intakes he'd assigned me for 7:00am. "You're ASSUMING I've forgotten, aren't you Doctor? Let me walk you to your car." Dr. L's screed ended when I pulled away, down Sunset, left at Western and home. "What did Dr. L. want?" My Wife the Christian asked sleepily as I slid into bed. "You don't wanna know, I don't wanna think about it."

Of course "MWTC" DID want to know. Next night when I told her, she got the verbal-shrapnel Dr. L. had tried but failed to goad me into to have me fired by Watts Clinic for insubordination. Big-Time Rule for People and even Shrinks: IF some wildly crazy-ass "MoFo" actually SUCCEEDS at making you angry, NEVER let him or her outta the office WITHOUT telling 'em exactly why you're P.O'd. WHY? Cause some innocent person is gonna take the HEAT! Fair? No. But neither is life as someone or something reminded JFK to remind us.

The point of all this is that Rev. James Bevell was at war with his same Incestuous Demons as Dr. King's First Lieutenant in 1963 Birmingham as in 2008 when James Bevel was convicted in Virginia of unlawful fornication for sexually molesting one of his children. Bevel's awaiting formal formal sentencing later this month. Child molesters do for
http://omnipotentpoobah.com/2008/05/25/good-man-bad-man-the-strange-case-of-rev-james-bevel/ me what spiders do for most people. Since I'm incapable of detatchment I've never treated one. Not even a "sympathetic case" like Bevel's. HATE Passive-Aggressives but they're just endlessly annoying, self-indulgent bores and don't creep me out. The prospect of spending my life treating Passive-Aggresive goobers drove me to hopefully something more "useful" in South Central. But I'd do 10-years of straight "P.A's" before I'd go near even James Bevell. Granted I'm well to the Left [is child molestation political?] of whack-jobs like Austria's Dr. Suzanne Winter whose wonderfully insane "Allah Was A Child-Molester!" slogan looks cribbed from either Groucho Marx or the Focus On The Family playbook. Ultimately, James Bevell rose above his demons long enough to help make the world a tad more hopeful for my two-week old grandson and those like him. J.P. Sarte wrote that the man [or woman] who battles his [or her] homosexual desires has earned a right not to be called homosexual. One of the great thing about America is it remaining, for some at least, the land of Second Chances: Yes, the Protection of Marriage Amendment's back. http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/16020.html. No names of the Senate sponsors, but here's a hint:



No comments: