Friday, July 4, 2008

"Another Bullshit Night In Suck City." Closing the Books on Crazy Doctor L.


Chronicle of a journey from youthful
know-it-all to old-fart astonishment

That's the kickass best book title I've heard of in years. I haven't yet read it but that'll happen in the fullness of time or sooner. I'm not the Advanced-Copy reviewer type. Another Bullshit Night In Suck City reminds me of cartoonist Harvey Peker [above] on Cleveland. Actually it's Boston; either city suits a Pittsburgh Stiller junkie just fine.

But Thomas Flynn's Suck City is a memoir of Flynn's father with rave reviews. It's been compared with the classic 1969 Stop-Time Frank Conroy's memoir that influenced a generation of American writers and included wannabes and never-weres such as Doctor Bawb. Conroy died recently at age 69. ttp://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/07/books/07conroy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Shrinkery began as strictly a Day Job for me. Neither Conroy then nor Flynn now couldn't have had more encouragement longer than I did. TimeStops don't happen in our world. At my age and time
spent I'll pass on a duke out with Einstein. Or Marcel Proust tp://rhetoric.berkeley.edu/graduate_coursesSp2008.html.

My half century long buddy brought up Another Bullshit Night In Suck-City while we "greased" at a Greek joint
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/39448272/
"Ulysses' Voyage" that's walking/SpazMobile distance from my place. I broke up laughing figuring Suck City referred to LA and especially its Let's-shut-our-eyes-and-wish-REAL-HARD!-the-USA's-Deficit-cum-Mortgage-Crisis-Goes-Away-and-Tinker-Bell-Gets-Well! crowd. But what's a guy s'posed to imagine with The Grove [LA's NEW Center And Place To Be!] 125-feet east and Up-To-The-Yang crowded on a Wedneday night?

Turns out the LA Times' review of Suck City, also thumbs-up, can't bring itself to print the word Bullshit or Suck. No bad thing. Our Only Paper has roused readers to actually USE their imaginations or else go on-line to find the book's title. Using the LA Times Book Section search, my first two pages were mostly LA Lakes [why not?], some Obama and Hillary hits plus a Sally Field ["You like me! You REALLY like me!" Osacar winner] The Watts shooting of a man found dead in his yard with his puppy atop his body on Search Page three was the first use the word Bullshit that I found. mes.com/homicidereport/2007/11/watts-murder.html.

Questions how and/or why LA's major paper handled same-named title of Princeton Prof. Harry G. Frankfurst's bestseller best referred to Prof. Leon Kass, ever helpful Chairman of the G.W. Bush Ethics Advisory Board. Like Barack Obama, Kass taught at the U. of Chicago and shatters stereotypes. One that a Black can teach Constitutional Law at a prestigious law schools. One that a Jew can teach Bioethics at the same prestious law school then fit it whetever Owl Entrails were most recently read by Author/Psychologist James Dobson.

On the way home from "Ulysses' Voyage," my friend suggested that 98% of all Blogs [my Blawg especially included] are an on-line form of Free-Association.

"Damn staight!" I replied even though he divides his retirement time among the Pasadena Jet Propulsion Lab, upgrading the UCLA Computer System, going to wierd-ass film festivals, reading the LA Times and claiming not to remember what he did. "Yeah, bro!" I said: "Remember I wrote about the Watts Clinic and the phuqued-up Doctor L?" "Yeah," he answered: "You were always pissed-off about him. I met him at your wedding reception or something."

[My...ummm, lightning Shrink Reflexes say DON'T call my buddy on his "I-Recall-Nothing" bullshit. But that's like forever].

"You know that raggedy-ass sent me and MWTC [My Wife The Christian] a bill for him talking about himself for five damn hours!"
"You pay it?"
"Phuque no! Kept it just in case I need it for a State Medical Board hearing."
"So what did Dr. L. do?"
"Nothin' but more varations on the same old shit. Wasn't in him to do elsewise. Great, great supervisor and batshit crazy. Until MWTC yanked his chain."
"How'd she do that?"
"You know. She worked one Department, I worked another. We never talked t work. We never talked ABOUT work at home."
"So what did she do?"
"One day L's pitchin' some fit at me over nothing and she walked by. Slowed down but didn't even stop: "Paul," she tells him gently. "The reason you and Robert lock horns is you remind him exactly of his mother." She kept walking. Dr. L. never said shit again and we never discussed it EVER at home."Maybe I did whatever I was s'posed to do. Anyway I plan doing it until I get the Hook.

Here are all the reviews for Suck City. Happy Fourth holiday!"

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=searchbox.webhome&query=reviews+%22another+bullshit+night+in+suck+city%22

No comments: